Home Fires: What Contributes to Potential Risk

You can prevent future risk with these simple steps to home maintenance.

You don’t want to think that you may have a home fire. It’s one of the scariest things that can happen to your family, but there are ways to decrease your risk of a home fire.

You already know to not leave candles burning and to turn off your oven when you are finished cooking, but you may be forgetting the most obvious fire risk in your home: the fireplace.

Yes, it is supposed to safely keep a fire burning in your home, but it can only do that if it’s properly maintained. Schedule a chimney inspection and sweep service annually to keep your risk of home fire down. 

4 Reasons Your Fireplace Could Cause Fires

  1. The burning process produces acidic substances that weaken metal or masonry chimneys, making them break down prematurely.
  2. Substantial accumulation of creosote, an inflammable substance that is formed as a result of incomplete combustion, can ignite and spread fire to the attic and other parts of the house.
  3. When the chimney is used rarely, small animals and birds can gather and nest there, leading to chimney blockage. Leaves, branches, twigs and pine cones can also clog up the chimney.
  4. Driving rain or high winds may also ruin chimneys. CSIA advises that generally, chimneys must have rain caps to prevent water and animals from entering because these are the major reasons for chimney failure.